5 - MANNY ALEXANDER, STAR ROOKIE


The basics: Like Willie Greene, 1993 was Manny Alexander's coming-out party on cards. After appearing a little on minor-league issues in 1991 and notably on a Topps' four-player prospect card that included Chipper Jones and Wil Cordero in 1992, Alexander was featured on his own card for the first time for Upper Deck, Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Select and Pinnacle in '93.
 
Card thoughts: Alexander is showcased in a basic fielding position, likely during a spring training game. His squint on his face reminds me that some fans considered him one of the ugliest ballplayers in the game. But I don't know him that well.
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: That's an interesting story about Alexander having to reverse course and waving to his family from the plane as a result. However, this write-up is also a painful reminder that Alexander was considered the Orioles' heir apparent to Cal Ripken Jr. at shortstop and they actually considered moving the future Hall of Famer to fit Alexander in at short. Ripken did not move to third base until the late '90s, after Alexander was long gone.

More from '93: Back to the alternative rock charts. This week's No. 1 alternative song in 1993 was "Not Sleeping Around" by Ned's Atomic Dustbin. I admit, I do not remember this song and had to hit youtube to refresh my memory. The video is very '93.

Comments

  1. One of the ugliest ballplayers in the game is pretty harsh. I know some athletes get paid crazy money... but it sucks that they have to deal with comments like these from fans.

    P.S. Don't remember the song or video. Kind of strange since I was really into alternative in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason I feel Alexander was the first in a line of "Heir-Apparents" to Ripken's shortstop job..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dudes judging the appearance of other dudes always seems a little... suspect, to me. And I didn't remember that song either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name Ned's Atomic Dustbin sounds familiar but that song didn't ring a bell for me, either.

    I miss the days when card companies included interesting anecdotes on the back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment