19 - BOBBY JONES, STAR ROOKIE

 
The basics: Bobby Jones' first MLB cards were Bowman and Pinnacle in 1992. Then in '93 he was a "Coming Attraction" in Topps and a "Star Rookie" in Upper Deck, along with appearing in Ultra and Bowman again.

Card thoughts: Horizontal card No. 3 in the set, and it's the always pleasing straight-on view of a pitcher's release. Might work a little better zoomed out but I'm not complaining.


Backs are important in '93 UD: I didn't know that the Mets losing Darryl Strawberry to the Dodgers allowed them to select Bobby Jones as a supplemental pick. Jones is a favorite from my fantasy baseball days, one of the few starters on my team who I could count on through multiple years. I always thought Jones was overlooked during the Generation K hype for Paul Wilson, Bill Pulsipher and Jason Isringhausen and felt a bit vindicated for his playoff performance for the Mets (against the Giants!) in 2000.

More from '93: The No. 1 alternative music song in the country this week in 1993 was "Feed The Tree" by Belly. I bought the cassette, "Star," based on hearing this song on MTV's "120 Minutes" and walked straight into Tanya Donelly's wonderful, weird world.

Comments