1 - STAR ROOKIE CHECKLIST (TIM SALMON)

 
The basics: The 1993 Upper Deck set begins with a checklist for the first of its many subsets, this one featuring 28 "star rookies" of the era. The front of the checklist showcases Tim Salmon of the Angels, who also has a separate card in the subset.

Card thoughts: Upper Deck gets things off to a regal start with a "from-the-ground-up" shot of Salmon. It's an interesting blend of ideas as the photographer is obviously taking inspiration from the 1972 Topps card of the Angels' Billy Cowan, who also is posed under the Anaheim Stadium scoreboard halo. The ominous-looking orange backdrop makes this one of the most dramatic cards of its time. I'm assuming this was taken during sunset or maybe a sub-standard air-quality day in California. It's also a nice tribute to the Angels' Orange County location. Tim Salmon's No. 15, which he'd wear for his entire career, is on full display.


Backs are important in '93 UD: But this might be the dullest back in the entire set. This back is a preview of the next 28 posts of this blog. This checklist is a nice mix of all-time greats, players known for their flash-in-the-pan status and names completely forgotten by all but the most dedicated.

More from '93: Welcome to the 1993 Upper Deck set blog! It's an honor to detail the best set Upper Deck ever produced on its 30th anniversary. I hope you enjoy.
 
I plan to add a little bit about 1993 in each post, other than the card featured. My objective is to be a bit more relaxed for this blog, by not spending too much time researching posts and a casual posting schedule. I know readers appreciated my past regimented set blogs but that format gets a little tiring.
 
I will be adding to the look of this blog in the weeks to come as I familiarize myself with the layout.

Comments

  1. One of the best photos in the set, and a hint of the greatness to come. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cool the first card is a checklist. And I appreciate the back, that they incorporated a "sunset" design to match the front.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No button to follow. It shows it is in classic view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤷‍♂️... Don't know. It's a new template for me. I'm figuring out what it has and what it doesn't as I go.

      Delete
  4. I think I've already said it before on another post, but I'm not overly familiar with the set, so most of these cards (including this one) are probably gonna be new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son got an opened box of these from a family member when he first started collecting. It still had some stars in it and we put together several binder pages of great action shots of players.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to perhaps the first Joe Vitko themed post in blog history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Greatest 21 Days did a Joe Vitko themed post in 2018 http://www.greatest21days.com/2018/07/joe-vitko-really-pleased-21.html

      Delete
  7. The orange sky gives me apocalypse vibes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder who the photographer was. Maybe the late VJ Lovero?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kind of feel like this was more of a photo edit than an actual shoot, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous card. Gorgeous set. In a perfect world, I'd have my set in a binder sitting on the shelf for easy access.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to be a fun ride. I was graduating high school in 1993 so while I didn't open much of this set, I have fond memories of the year and I am pretty sure I have the complete set among my boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking forward to all the fun posts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Phillies cards in this set make up the best team set in any baseball card set... ever! Can't wait to read your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment