31 - JIM ABBOTT, COMMUNITY HEROES

 
The basics: Jim Abbott shows up on a second straight card. But his actual main card in this set is as a Yankee, not an Angel.
 
Card thoughts: Abbott is flashing the peace sign and that makes me realize that out of all the mini-collections I've come across in my years as a card blogger, I have never heard of anyone collecting cards of players offering the peace symbol.
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: For a card company that was known more about the photo on the back than the words on the back, it's sure starting off the set with some text-heavy cards.
 
The write-up details Abbott's involvement in Amigos de los Niños, which is still operating today. The card back design is presented as a page in a book. To continue the effect, the "page" on the opposite side is shown but truncated. The words on the left are different on every card in this subset, which leads me to believe that they are from some specific page or story. I have no idea what, though (At first I thought you could put the card backs together like a puzzle).
 
More from '93: The No. 1 song in the U.S. this week in 1993 was "Freak Me" by Silk. The first line of this song pretty much sums up what drove me away from pop music in 1993.

Comments

  1. I went through an R&B phase during the late 80's and early 90's with artists/bands like New Edition, Keith Sweat, and Guy... but was out of it by the time this song rolled around. I do remember it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of a peace sign collection either, but at least the back would fit some collectors' bubble gum collections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, I have this card in my bubble collection.

      Delete
  3. I was the right age to like that Silk song when it was new, but I didn't, and I still don't!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment