68 - FRANK TANANA, TIGERS, P

 
The basics: This is the first of two Frank Tanana cards in the 1993 Upper Deck set. He signed as a free agent in the 1992 offseason with the New York Mets. Tanana's 1993 cards are the last of his playing career as he didn't play after '93.

Card thoughts: An old-school wind-up in an old-school uniform.
 


Backs are important in '93 UD: After some struggles in the early-mid 1980s, Tanana really solidified his career change from fireballer to control artist with the Tigers from 1986-92. But you can see some of that fun from his younger days in that follow-through picture on the back.

More from '93: The No. 1 song in the U.S. (and in England) on this date 30 years ago was "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meatloaf.

Comments

  1. I always enjoyed watching him pitch. One of my all-time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It almost looks like his image has been superimposed onto a different background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure that I have a Tanana card from 1994 Score featuring him as a Yankee. I will have to check my stacks of them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's #538. He also appears as a Yankee in 1993 Select Rookie/Traded #127. For you Yankees completists out there.

      Delete
    2. I missed it because it didn't pop up on my quick COMC search. Turns out it's sold out on there. How is a '94 Score card sold out???

      Delete
    3. Those darned completists! Or sunset collectors...

      Delete
  4. Underrated by casual fans... one of the best of the late 70's and 80's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment