73 - ROD BECK, GIANTS, P

 
The basics: Rod Beck was in the midst of his first All-Star season when this card was issued. He'd appear in 76 games in 1993, up from 65 in '92, and save 48 games, up from 17.
 
This is the fourth straight post of a pitcher, and it's also another pitcher who has passed away. It's the third player in the last seven cards who has passed.

Card thoughts: Beck is blocking out the "E" in "Upper Deck" with his hat as he peers from behind his elbow. Nice shot.


Backs are important in '93 UD: Beck looks very imposing on his cards and a lot larger than he was judging by his vitals here (6-1, 215).

More from '93: The No. 1 movie in the U.S. 30 years ago today was "Mrs. Doubtfire." Helllooooo!

Comments

  1. Beck has always been on of my favorite 90's relievers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sure I saw Mrs. Doubtfire in the the theaters. As for Beck, I definitely saw him play at the Stick. Funny thing is I didn't think he was that intimidating or appreciate his mustache until I started seeing how popular he was among collectors.

    P.S. Three out of seven. Man. That's sad. I haven't been keeping up with my blogroll, but I guess I need to check out who the other two are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does look a lot heavier than 215 in that back photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment