102 - B.J. SURHOFF, BREWERS, C

 
The basics: This is B.J. Surhoff's only card in the 1993 Upper Deck set. He has plenty of 1993 cards showing him catching. This is also the second card in the last three showing a catcher.

Card thoughts: Not sure what's happening here, Surhoff holding his mask is throwing me off. Maybe he's warming up a pitcher quickly and was in the process of putting his mask on when the pitcher threw one in the dirt?
 
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: That's a catcher's play that I know. ... I don't think I was aware that Surhoff was from The Bronx.

More from '93: "Women Who Run With Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype," by Clarissa Pinkola Estes, was in the middle of a record run as the No. 1 nonfiction book on the New York Times best seller list on this date in 1993. It would stay on the list for 145 weeks, a record at the time.

Comments

  1. Your guess works for me. Whatever the situation... the photographer caught Surhoff at the most awkward moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His is a name that I remember quite fondly from my early days of collecting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment