123 - IVAN RODRIGUEZ, RANGERS, C

 
The basics: This is the second of three cards of Ivan Rodriguez in the '93 Upper Deck set. He first appeared in the Teammates subset at card #52.

Card thoughts: I think this is one of the first notable cards of Pudge in his career as far as card appearance. It sure makes an impact. This is also the second mask-on catcher card in the last four cards.
 
 

Backs are important in '93 UD:
The "bendy bat!" ... This is still early in Rodriguez's career, his big offensive numbers wouldn't show up until later in the '90s. But he was always peak caliber defensively.

I like the note about him being the first player born in the 1970s to appear in an MLB All-Star Game. I believe the first player born in 1993 to appear in an All-Star Game was Francisco Lindor in 2016.

More from '93: Meatloaf's sequel to "Bat Out of Hell" -- "Bat Out of Hell II -- Back Into Hell" -- was released on this date in 1993.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you are doing this. If I had the time to do a card blog, much less a set blog, this would be the one I would have done. 1993 Upper Deck is to me what 1975 Topps is to you. And this was one of my favorite cards as a 12 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing about Rodriguez being the first player born in the 70's to appear in an MLB All-Star Game is a pretty cool piece of trivia. It motivated me to look up the first player born in the 2000's to play in the Mid-Summer Classic. Pretty sure it's Julio Rodriguez.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo is a little too close for my liking, but I can see why others would be enamoured with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment