126 - ROBBY THOMPSON, GIANTS, 2B

 
The basics: The second straight second baseman featured in the set, Robby Thompson will show up again in the team checklists at the end of the set.
 
Card thoughts: A standard batting shot, meant to feature a throwback uniform, I believe. Thompson is featuring a patch on his arm sleeve that is a replication of the centennial patches worn by MLB teams in 1939. So I'm assuming Thompson is wearing a N.Y. Giants uniform from that time period.
 


Backs are important in '93 UD: It's not too often you see a card photo of infielders delivering their coverage signals to each other. I remember when I first learned about that practice.

Thompson was in the middle of his best season when this card was issued. It would be his last full season.
 
More from '93: This week in 1993, the song "What Is Love" by Haddaway debuted on the Billboard Top 40. Never liked the song, but thanks to SNL, etc., I still have to hear it.

Comments