249 - STAN JAVIER, PHILLIES, OF

  
The basics: The second Phillies card in the last three cards, Stan Javier makes an appearance after his lone season with Philadelphia during a 17-year career. He was traded from the Dodgers to the Phillies on July 2, 1992.
 
Card thoughts: A Will Clark cameo as Javier dashes back to first base. I'm thinking this is a game in San Francisco from July 7, 1992 -- five days after the trade. It was a day game and the first game of a doubleheader on a Tuesday, which would explain the empty seats in the background. Javier didn't get a hit, but he did walk to lead off the game, and Clark played first base. The Giants won 8-7.
 
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: Javier makes a one-handed grab in the outfield, which still drives this old fogie nuts even though it's been commonplace for decades. Two hands! See Kyle Tucker last night and Andy Pages a few games ago!!!
 
Upper Deck merges the Dodgers and Phillies stats here, which I both like and dislike. Javier played in 74 games for the Phillies in 1992.
 
More from '93: On this date in 1993, Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Blue Traveler played at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. Young's tour that year contained various well-known opening acts, including Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Blind Melon. Soundgarden was working on an album during the tour, which would become "Superunknown".

Comments

  1. a. Javier will always be one of the guys the A's acquired as part of the Rickey Henderson trade.

    b. I like how UD broke down his stats with the Dodgers and A's, but understand why it's more common to combine them like they did for his 1992 numbers. It's just weird seeing both styles on one card back.

    c. Superunknown is a great album. Can't say I listen to it much anymore, but back in the 90's... we played it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Fuji - Superunknown is fantastic, with plenty of great memories to go with it. I still say that Chris Cornell is the best vocalist ever (imo of course).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment