4 - WILLIE GREENE, STAR ROOKIE

 
The basics: Willie Greene had been showing up in minor league sets and a few Update sets for as far back as 1990, so it was about time he appeared in a major release set that wasn't Bowman. 1993 was his big breakthrough in the card world as he made his major league debut in 1992.

Card thoughts: You are all witness to what Willie Greene believes at this moment to be a home run. Greene did hit two home runs in '92. I have no idea if this was one of them.
 


Backs are important in '93 UD: Willie Greene did become the regular third baseman for the Reds, but it wasn't until three years after this card was issued. His starting role lasted for nearly three years until he was traded to the Orioles in the middle of the 1998 season. Still, he was the Reds' most notable "Greene" until Hunter showed up.

More from '93: The New York Times best-selling books this week in 1993 were "Dolores Claiborne" by Stephen King and "The Way Things Ought To Be" by Rush Limbaugh. I have read neither.

Comments

  1. Can't say I know too much about Greene except for the fact that he played for the Reds and I remember seeing his cards in the 90's.

    Bonus More from '93: Whitney's (I mean Dolly's) I Will Always Love You was #1 on Billboards Hot 100 thirty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read either of those books, and I can't imagine ever doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Willie Greene was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. If I remember right, he took over at 3B when Chris Sabo left for the Orioles. Had a pretty season in 1997.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment