12 - ALAN EMBREE, STAR ROOKIE

 
The basics: Like many players in this Star Rookies subset, 1993 was Alan Embree's coming-out party on cards. Prior to '93, he appeared on only one of those 1992 Bowman Dress Shirt cards.

Card thoughts: This is the first horizontal card in the '93 Upper Deck set and the first example of the greatness of the '93 UD horizontals, it's one of the aspects that makes me love this set. Embree is displaying the terrific "show me your grip" shot that always wins. I like the monogrammed workout top, too.


Backs are important in '93 UD: Embree started four games for the Indians in 1992. Those would be the only games he would start in his 16 year major league career: 882 appearances and four starts.

Embree is probably most known for his time with the 2004 Red Sox World Series championship team. But I'll remember him more for pulling his card in 1993, taking a 10-year break from collecting, and then buying new cards in 2006 and pulling his card again! This dude? He's still playing??

More from '93: National Lampoon's "Loaded Weapon I" was the No. 1 movie on this date in 1993. The movie parodied the Lethal Weapon franchise as well as other movies from the time like "Basic Instinct," "Silence Of the Lambs" and "Die Hard."

Comments

  1. Now here's a name I recognize! I knew Embree began his career with Cleveland, but I never knew he *started*. The monogrammed rain slicker is an interesting look consider there isn't a cloud in the sky.

    Loaded Weapon was one of those comedies I saw as a teen and completely forgot about as an adult.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment