9 - NIGEL WILSON, STAR ROOKIE

 
 
The basics: One of the "It" players of 1993, Nigel Wilson was the Florida Marlins' first-ever draft pick, selected No. 2 in the expansion draft behind David Nied. Card companies responded with a stream of Nigel Wilsons in '93. Nobody knew at the time that Wilson would not get his first major league hit until 1996 and he'd have 3 for his whole career.
 
Card thoughts: Oh, those teal hats sure do take me back. Is there another year that you can explain in a color? ... I'm guessing this photo took place during the expansion draft and Wilson is in mid-interview.
 


Backs are important in '93 UD: The Marlins' commitment to winning certainly did pay off, with a World Series title just four years later, but they had some help from big-name acquisitions along with developing talent.  ... Also, Dave Dombrowski, man, he's going to be a GM in 2043 isn't he?
 
More from '93: Before Groundhog Day is done for another year, I need to mention that the movie "Groundhog Day" was released in 1993, on Feb. 12.

Comments

  1. Nigel Wilson was a Donruss Diamond King. That fact will forever blow my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teal is so 1993, lol. I pulled plenty of Nigel Wilson cards back in the day. Kind of interesting that both expansion teams took top prospects from the top two teams at the top of the draft. Didn't pan out for either Florida or Colorado, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of those things that nobody cares about (or ever will), but I can say I collected during the Nigel and Nied card boom era.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He had a huge season in AA for the Blue Jays in 1992. I can't blame the Marlins for thinking he could be something special, though I am not sure why they snagged him with their first pick. I understand the Nied pick a little bit more because he had some success in the Majors in 1992. But yeah, neither one worked out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment