20 - KURT MILLER, STAR ROOKIE

 
The basics: Kurt Miller had been appearing on major-issue baseball cards since 1991, including the memorable Topps draft pick card in which Miller, a pitcher, is posing with a bat. But this Upper Deck card is his only card in a widely released set in 1993.

Card thoughts: Check out the ball shadow on Miller's jersey. I'm guessing every pitcher has been asked to flip the ball in the air during a photo shoot. It makes a cool photo. The player looks confident, a future star and 8 feet tall. But the shot could backfire, too.
 


Backs are important in '93 UD: The write-up doesn't explain fully how the Pirates winning the NL East title in 1991 was connected to them trading Miller, but a quick online search shows that it was deadline deal at the end of August to acquire infielder Steve Buechele for the pennant drive. No matter, the trade wasn't a misfire as Miller struggled to stay in the majors for years. He played in several organizations until the end of the decade and also played in Japan.
 
More from '93: The so-called "Storm of the Century" struck eastern and southern North America this weekend 30 years ago. Record cold hit the southern U.S. with abundant snow in many parts of Tennessee and North Carolina. In New York, I recall the storm vividly. I was scheduled to cover a college hockey playoff game down the street but I couldn't get out of my driveway as it was impossible for the landlord to plow. Fortunately, the game was called off.

Comments

  1. Nice shadow shot. This is just another example of me not being very observant. Didn't see the shadow until you pointed it out. Also I vaguely remember that 1991 Topps card, but didn't realize he was a pitcher posing with a bat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm glad I wasn't in Tennessee 30 years ago at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rare vertical toss card, a great shot for a so-so pitcher.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment