34 - KIRBY PUCKETT, COMMUNITY HEROES

 
The basics: This is Kirby Puckett's first appearance in 1993 Upper Deck. He shows up two more times. He's also in like four insert sets.

Card thoughts: Wow, that is a close-up shot. This is the second time so far in the set that we've seen someone being interviewed. ... Also, I apologize about the dust scraps on the card, it makes it look like Puckett hasn't combed out his beard.
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: Oof, while fully admitting Puckett did some great things here, nobody at this point was aware of Puckett's shortcomings and they really shadow his community service. The word used in this write-up -- "reputation" -- took a major hit.

More from '93: On this date in 1993, the expansion Colorado Rockies reached 1,000,000 in attendance in just 17 home dates, the fastest any club has reached that number. The Rockies lost to the Braves in the game, 12-7. David Justice hit two home runs.

Comments

  1. How dare they do him like that. Ironically, 2 days ago was the day he made his debut in 1984.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Ortiz wore the number 34 to honor Puckett, who mentored him with the Twins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With all of the 1993 Upper Deck I used to have, this card seems unfamiliar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll always remember his smile first... but his troubles after baseball never linger too far behind. But when it comes to collecting, I try my best to focus on the athlete and not what happened off the field. Putting the blinders on helps me smile on a more regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's because I never paid much attention to him as a kid, so I was completely unaware of his issues. After having gone and just read about some of them, I'm now very glad that I didn't ever pay much attention to him when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment