40 - DAVE WINFIELD, COMMUNITY HEROES

 
The basics: This is Dave Winfield's first appearance in the '93 Upper Deck set. He'll show up a couple times more and on his base card, he'll be a member of the Minnesota Twins.

Card thoughts: Nice look at the pregame set-up at ... is that Oakland? Not sure. Winfield seems to be cold as he helps advertise nicotine and alcohol.
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: This is the final card in the Community Heroes subset and still I haven't figured out what UD used for the trimmed write-ups on the left-hand side. ... Winfield's write-up mentions "Turn It Around clinics" and "Breakfast Clubs" like they're common knowledge but you got me what those are, outside of the Molly Ringwald movie.

More from '93: On this day 30 years ago, the Montreal Canadiens' Eric Desjardins is the first defenseman to score three goals in a Stanley Cup Final game as Montreal beats the L.A. Kings 3-2 to even the series at 1-1. Desjardins scored his second goal of the game on a power play, awarded the Canadiens after the Kings' Marty McSorley was found to have an illegally curved stick.

Comments

  1. that is Oakland. I remember going to games there when I was in the Navy. They closed that whole area in the Super Bowl was scheduled to be there. I remember reading that it drastically changed the way the balls flew for home runs and cut down on the number of home runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... definitely Oakland. I recognize the yellow baseballs in the grass that were replaced by Mount Davis a few years later.

      Delete
  2. I wonder what they are showing on the scoreboard screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Jim Abbott card that led off the subset, but I think this is my favorite of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was definitely one of the turning points of the Stanley Cup that year. Sadly no Canadian team has won the Stanley Cup since! Three decades!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment