44 - IRON AND STEAL, TEAMMATES

 
The basics: This is the second time Cal Ripken Jr. has appeared in the '93 Upper Deck set, he showed up just eight cards ago. He'll appear one more time. This is Brady Anderson's first showing and he has one more card in the set.
 
Card thoughts: Lots of thoughts on this one.
 
First, the Upper Deck logo on the left is practically cut off. I thought this was just the card I had but it looks like it's cropped close on each card No. 44.

Ripken and Anderson are probably not posing together in Camden Yards. They're not looking in the same direction, it's as if Ripken and Anderson were cut out of different photos and placed next to each other.
 
I like viewing the games in progress on the scoreboard in the background. If that's the entire MLB slate, perhaps this picture is from a Monday or Thursday, which are known travel days for MLB teams.
 
Also, Camden Yards opened in 1992 so everything about it was interesting at this time. The B&O Warehouse sits beyond right field. I've eaten in there.
 
Oh, and I'm not letting Upper Deck go without mentioning that painful pun.
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: "James Dean sideburns."
 
Upper Deck's writer needs to hold on three more years for an even bigger Brady Anderson shock when he'd hit 50 home runs in 1996.
 
More from '93: The No. 1 movie this week in 1993 was "Jurassic Park" -- the first one. I've yet to see any of them.

Comments

  1. Seems like side burns were really popular in that era. Several of my college buddies had them... and so did Dylan on 90210. As for Jurassic Park... I've seen all of them except for the one that came out recently. I think the only one I saw in the theaters was the one that came out in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was 13/14 when this set came out and it never occurred to me once that these teammates cards could feature mash-ups of separate photos. Now it's beyond obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's not a good photo(shop).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment