48 - BOSTON CY SOX, TEAMMATES


The basics: Frank Viola and Roger Clemens each show up for the first time in '93 UD with this card. Both will appear again with their solo base cards and then Clemens has another card, sort of.

Card thoughts: Fenway Park is a lovely old backdrop. But I don't know about that title of "Boston Cy Sox".

Also, if you weren't aware, Upper Deck has been ordering these Teammates subset cards by the MLB divisions at the time. This is the last American League East card and we'll move on to the AL West next.

Backs are important in '93 UD: Well, Viola would have two more double-digit win seasons for the Red Sox but his days of winning 20 were over. He'd be out of Boston after 1994 and Clemens after 1996.

More from '93: The No. 1 song in the U.S. 30 years ago this week was "Weak" by SWV. I liked "I'm So Into You" better.

Comments

  1. I always liked this card. I remember being excited when Viola joined the team, because that duo was arguably the best 1-2 of any rotation. Unfortuantely injuries took their toll on "Sweet Music"..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally forgot that Viola pitched for the Sox. The only SWV song I really liked was Right Here, but I remember both of those songs getting a lot of play on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell you why exactly, but I miss seeing Frank Viola in card sets. And the title of this card sounds weird, so much so that I thought you might've made a typo with this post's title.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment