50 - TWIN TITLES, TEAMMATES

 
The basics: Kent Hrbek shows up for the first time in this set while this is already Kirby Puckett's second showing. Both have base card appearances later.

Card thoughts: Just two guys who know how to win World Series titles palling around. The title for this card is a natural, I hope they didn't take too long to come up with it.


Backs are important in '93 UD: Well, there was no third title for these two, in fact the Twins are still waiting for their first Series title since 1991. I need to rewatch the 1987 World Series. I saw the whole thing but have forgotten most of it (including Hrbek's grand slam). The '91 Series kind of overshadowed it.

More from '93: On this date 30 years ago, Don Mattingly hit his 200th career home run. It came off the Angels' Doug Linton in a 12-1 win for the Yankees.

Comments

  1. It is true, the 1987 World Series was bonkers and no one remembers it because 1991 had one of the true storybook endings to game 6 and 7. But '87 had every team winning at home, Tom Lawless(!) hitting home runs and bat tossing, the ubiquitous homer hankie, and about 7000 momentum shifts. I think I might need to watch that series again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few relatives who live in Minnesota and they are big Twins fans. I remember them being very excited about Twins baseball during this era. I also remember rooting for the Cardinals and Braves in those World Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the '87 series. I might have to try and watch it someday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment