55 - PACIFIC SOCK EXCHANGE, TEAMMATES

 
The basics: This is the first appearance each for Ken Griffey Jr., Jay Buhner and Kevin Mitchell in this set. Buhner will show up again on his own card. Griffey will appear twice more and a third time, famously, on Buhner's card. Mitchell gets two more cards, wearing two different uniforms.

Also, this is the final Teammates card of the subset. The American League is done. The National League subset won't start showing up until card No. 471 and it will be renamed "Team Stars," I have no idea why.

Also, also, next up is the first non-subset card in the set. Took long enough.

Card thoughts: Griffey is Griffey but for me Jay Buhner blowing the bubble makes this card. Mitchell looks out of place as he spent just 99 games in 1992 with the Mariners. Also, what is Griffey sitting on, is that a trunk?
 
"Pacific Sock Exchange" was also used for the Giants around the late 1980s.


Backs are important in '93 UD: Ha, ha, the write-up concedes that there's no real point to this card, Mitchell isn't even a Mariner anymore!

More from '93: The No. 1 movie 30 years ago this week was "The Fugitive," starring Harrison Ford. Meanwhile UB40's remake of the Elvis Presley song "Can't Help Falling In Love" was No. 1 on the Billboard charts. The song was from the "Sliver" soundtrack, which was the top movie back in May of '93.

Comments

  1. Why do they both have two bats while Griffey only has one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit that I am slightly surprised at my levels of excitement for the regular base card portions of this blog. No pressure, I'm just genuinely excited to hear your opinions, card by card, on this set, which sits firmly in my top 3 of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A. Very interesting UD decided to change the subset name from Teammates to Team Stars in the middle of the set. For a set that I appreciate that much... I never even noticed that the change.

    B. Saw The Fugitive at the drive-in and really liked it. Probably worth watching again some time.

    C. Hadn't given much thought to Sliver in recent years, but back in 1993 Sharon Stone was one of the hottest actresses around. Not sure if I saw that movie in theaters or on VHS, but I'm pretty sure I saw it at some point. Unlike The Fugitive... I don't really need to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but think that UD just wanted to get Junior onto another card, and so they did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment