60 - WILFREDO CORDERO, EXPOS, SS

 
The basics: Wil Cordero's appearance marks the first time the Expos show up in the set. There are two other teams that have yet to appear. One is on its way fairly soon. The other won't appear until we're nearly 100 cards into the set.

Card thoughts: This is the best example so far of what I like so much about 1993 Upper Deck. The unusual action and angles that you see in this set were unlike anything I had experienced before (I don't know my early '90s Cubs well enough to know who that is). Maybe it's because I didn't buy much UD the previous three years.

Also, seeing Wil Cordero's name as "Wilfredo" is odd. UD is pulling a Topps, going with his full name while every other set calls him "Wil." UD did this up through '93 then stopped in '94.
 
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: Cordero's first major league games were in 1992, yet he had been appearing in major sets since 1991. That's nothing unusual now, but it started in the 1990s.
 
More from '93: "Dreamlover" by Mariah Carey was just beginning an eight-week run at No. 1 on this date 30 years ago. Her youtube channel just released a brief "behind the scenes" look at the video for the song.

Comments

  1. I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to see the behind the scenes of that song. I wasn't listening to a lot of pop stations when that song came out, and even I heard it more times than anyone could ever need to hear it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment