62 - JEFF MONTGOMERY, ROYALS, P

 
The basics: This is the fourth Royals card in the last nine cards. I'm not sure how Upper Deck decided to distribute the teams throughout the set, but I'm thinking there was no plan.

Card thoughts: Jeff Montgomery has a lot of cards in 1993, many of which look like this one. The Score card is pretty close to the same photo.


Backs are important in '93 UD: Pretty standard action stuff front and back. Montgomery was at the peak of his save game at this time. He'd top out in 1993 with 45 saves, which led the league.

More from '93: The No. 1 alternative song in the U.S. on this date 30 years ago was "No Rain," by Blind Melon. I'm sure you all know it.

Comments

  1. In the early days of UD they used to group cards by team near each other, a few at a time. They were not evenly spaced through the set. Look at the Dodgers numbers in 1990 UD, for example. https://www.tcdb.com/ViewTeams.cfm/sid/149/team/15/Los%20Angeles%20Dodgers
    However I didn't remember them doing it as obviously by 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montgomery was a heck of a closer for a brief time. Probably would be more well-known if the Royals were contenders.

    I did not like "No Rain" and the time, and I'm lukewarm on it now, but damned if I don't know the lyrics lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I had bought that Blind Melon CD... but it's not on my shelf. Maybe I sold it. Either way... I'm not the biggest fan of No Rain. But I know a lot of the words, so I must have liked it back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The song is okay but it was the video of No Rain that made everyone swoon over that song. Deep inside, we are all Bumblebee Girl looking for our Bumblebee People.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated that song with a passion when it came out, and I still do all of these years later.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment