66 - TIM WAKEFIELD, PIRATES, P

 
The basics: Tim Wakefield was another 1993 card darling. After appearing in scattered update sets in 1992, he broke through big in 1993 sets, thanks to his stand-out '92, especially the postseason.

There seems to be a lot of these '93 breakthrough players in the early portion of this set. I guess we'll have to see if that holds true later.

Card thoughts: Wakefield's familiar knuckleball delivery is on display, during a game that's probably in September, judging by the changing ivy leaf colors on the Wrigley Field wall in the background. Wakefield looks so young, rather different than his later Red Sox days. (Also, "Uppep Deck").


Backs are important in '93 UD: Nice shot of Wakefield's follow-through. Also a good write-up explaining his success in the '92 season and playoffs. I don't remember but I'm sure I was a big Wakefield fan in that NLCS against Atlanta.
 
RIP to Wakefield, who just passed away three weeks ago.

More from '93: The No. 1 song on the alternative charts on this day in 1993 was Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box," the final band song to receive a video before Kurt Cobain's death in 1994.

Comments

  1. I wish I would've paid more attention to his career while it was happening. From everything I've read about him lately, I think I would've been a fan. He also seems like a guy that might've been cheap to collect prior to recent events.

    Also, Nirvana is one of my top 5 least favorite bands ever, and Heart-Shaped Box is a song that I particularly despise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment