75 - TOM GLAVINE, BRAVES, P

 
The basics: This is Tom Glavine's first card in the 1993 Upper Deck set. He'll appear later with his starting pitching rotation mates when Upper Deck turns its attention to the National League in its combo cards.
 
Card thoughts: A nice, tight shot of Glavine in his pitching motion, focusing on how well he hid the ball. Also, he looks very young.
 


Backs are important in '93 UD: Glavine had achieved his second straight 20-win season when this card was issued and he was in the middle of compiling a third straight one with his 22 wins in 1993. Glavine finished first, second and third in NL Cy Young voting between 1991-93, in that order, and I wonder if anyone else has ever done that.

More from '93: The No. 1 song in the United Kingdom 30 years ago this week was "Mr. Blobby," which is often considered the worst single of all-time.

Comments

  1. I never heard of Mr. Blobby and I'm quite hesitant to click on that link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't familiar with Mr. Blobby either. Worst single of all-time are strong words, so I had to click it. It's bad. I couldn't listen to the entire song, so I skipped around and eventually had to close the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vaguely remember that song. The song, and the video, scream 90's UK. As for the worst single ever, I don't know, have those that decided that not heard any Nirvana, Green Day, Weezer, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment