84 - JOSE OQUENDO, CARDINALS, 2B

 
The basics: Jose Oquendo gets a card despite appearing in just 14 games in 1992. He suffered a hamstring injury the first game of the year and it cost him nearly the whole season.
 
Card thoughts: Is that dirt flying up or did a peanut fling out of his back pocket in mid-swing? Otherwise, a pretty standard batting shot. Probably not a lot to choose from if Upper Deck's window was the 1992 season. (Edit: Re-uploaded the image, must've gotten a cracker crumb on the card).
 
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: A signing for fans photo! I've decided I'm going to keep track of these with labels. I'll have to go back through the others I've posted and see if there are any I missed.
 
More from '93: The highest debut in the Billboard Top 40 this week in 1993 was Dr. Dre's "Nothin' But a 'G' Thang" at No. 25. Rap was really building on the chart momentum that started in '92.

Comments

  1. I think the front shot is bit better than your average batting photo. Whatever that is in the air looks a bit suspicious though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. That standard batting shot is pretty fantastic. Guess that's why so many collectors love the photography in this set.

    B. Nothin' But a 'G' Thang is a great song. One of my favorite albums of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the "peanut" 'is dirt on your scanner. I checked my card and looked at images online and none of them have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See edit in the post. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss my old scanner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've put together a large 'sighing autographs' collection. I need to look at more backs of upper deck from the early 90s since there seem to be a bunch of them there I don't have (including this one).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment