100 - DAVE VALLE, MARINERS, C

 
The basics: Dave Valle was entering his 10th and final season with the Mariners when this card was released. He would have one of his most productive seasons in 1993 (and lead the league in being hit by a pitch with 17), which was ideal when going into free agency at the end of the season.
 
Card thoughts: This is quite the photo angle. I don't know how Upper Deck obtained its photos during this time. I've assumed it was a combination of photographers hired by UD and maybe wire service photos. This looks rather professional.
 
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: Valle in full gear. I'm assuming it's common to wear a glove on the hand that goes inside the mitt due to the velocity of pitches? I don't really know.

More from '93: "Dragon - The Bruce Lee Story" was the No. 1 movie in the U.S. on this date 1993. It debuted at No. 1, ahead of another debut, the Kevin Kline movie "Dave".

Comments

  1. I love Kevin Kline. A Fish Called Wanda is one of my all-time favorites - he (along with the rest of the cast) was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valle should be stoked for his 93UD card. Both photos are solid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that’s a “Palm Guard” glove. It’s a padded glove you wear under your mitt that protects the top of the palm and index finger. I had one in Little League and thought I was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember him more for his broadcasting career with the Mariners more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment