124 - ANDY VAN SLYKE, PIRATES, OF

 
The basics: Andy Van Slyke shows up for the first time in this set. He shares a card later in the set. He's also in a couple of insert sets, which I haven't decided whether I'll blog -- it will be a long time before I get there.
 
Card thoughts: Oof, it looks like Van Slyke caught a pitch on the elbow. There's been too much of that this year in baseball. ... In the background, it appears that the photographer at right is taking a picture of the camera man at left. He's missing key action!
 

Backs are important in '93 UD: I can't read the photo here. Is this from the same at-bat? If so, is he gesturing that he's OK, that he's annoyed, or is he just putting his helmet on and walking to first? Seems like an odd choice for a pic.

Van Slyke had his best season in 1992, leading the NL in hits and doubles. He finished fourth in MVP voting. I forgot that after this season, his stats trailed off a lot. He broke his collar bone crashing into a wall in 1993, and back problems plagued him the rest of his career.

More from '93: The ABC Prime Time lineup on this day in 1993 was: 8 p.m.: Full House; 8:30 p.m.: Phenom; 9 p.m.: Roseanne; 9:30 p.m.: Coach; 10 p.m.: NYPD Blue

Comments

  1. You don't get many Hit By Pitch baseball cards. I don't remember any from the past few years at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say pretty much the same thing as Jafronius, so instead I'll comment on the ABC lineup - I watched all of those shows except Phenom. Don't remember that one at all,.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo selection certainly is different for a baseball card, but showing someone in pain like that seems like it was in poor taste to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm part of the "don't recall" Phenom club. In 1993 I was in college and tv was sort of on the back burner for me. Definitely remember Van Slyke though. Him, Bonds, and Bonilla made up one scary outfield.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment